Generating More Traffic
1. Know who you are selling to in Seattle or wherever your primary market is located. This is pretty basic, but it takes time. Not every area is the same, and Seattle SEO techniques may have some quirks to it that are different from Boise (Idaho) SEO techniques. The principles will continue to remain the same, though.
How And How Many
One of the first things you should know is how many people make up your target market. You can get a good idea of this by taking advantage of the Google Adword’s tool available – and it’s free to all. This will likely give you some good quality keywords including some that are distinct to your area. It also gives you the number of people who have searched those keywords – a helpful metric – helps you choose which keywords are the best ones to spend your time developing.
Basics Of Keyword Use
2. Don’t crowd your site with endless repetitions of keywords and phrases in an attempt to draw more traffic. This is a no no with Search engines. Because Google wants to provide the best user experience for people using their search engine, they are constantly refining how search results show up and often end up ranking sites that do this lower than others. It’s important to focus on providing good, solid content that is aimed at reaching real people – not only the search engine bots that index your site.
3. Keyword Stuffing. Whatever you do, don’t stuff your pages full of keywords. A good rule of thumb is focusing on only on ranking one keyword per page. Use it tastefully a couple of times, again, trying to reach the reader and not just the search engines. If you end up keyword stuffing, search engines may even penalize your site. Some people cram a ton of keywords into their pages just to increase search engine rankings. The problem is, the visitor clicks on the page, only to discover there is no valuable information for them, just a bunch of useless words. This is why Google chose not to reward this technique.
Crown Your Content
4. Content is King. If you’ve done any reading at all in the SEO world, you’ve probably heard this. It usually comes up quickly – and it’s true. Content is the driving force behind search engine rankings. Good content is what lures users to your site. When you combine phenomenal content with appropriately placed keyword phrases, you create a great user experience which helps bring people back and spreads your brand. This will bring people back to your site as the go to source for your industry, whether it’s local or national.
5. Site Map If you want to market from your website, you definitely are in need of a site map. The site map should always be linked to and from all the different pages on your site. This will help the search engine robots easily find and index your pages as well as provide browsers a chance to see everything you are providing from one easy to navigate spot.
6. Have your keywords in the URL. A good rule of thumb to follow when dealing with search engine optimization is to use your keywords and keyword phrases in your URLs. This is one of the foundational elements of search engine optimization along with your Title tag, so rather than using arbitrary numbers, instead replace them with keywords relevant to your area and keyword i.e. Seattle SEO.
Looking For Help?
A lot of people will tire of running their business and keeping up with the required informational edge and learning that has to constantly be maintained with the SEO industry. That’s okay. As I said before, time is important and we choose the best areas to invest our time into. So, after searching through SEO information and perhaps making the decision to pass SEO off to a company or individual, here are some good questions to go through with a potential provider.
Ask to see examples of his or her work for previous clients. We provide this for our clients. You can also ask for success stories or references from other satisfied customers, If a company is timid about providing this, it’s a sign that, either they are new (which may be providing you a discount on services) or you may need to look elsewhere. We like to say that transparency is an asset – not a hindrance to doing business.
Keep these SEO Basics in mind whether you’re starting out with a website, or refining. There is nothing wrong with doing all you can to get your website in front of more visitors, and some effective search engine optimization can accomplish that goal in a big way.
If you have questions and would like to talk to someone about your industry over the phone, feel free to call us at 800.337.9849 or visit us at www.fannit.com. We’d be glad to help!